The church may have been founded by St. Mochua of Clondalkin. Two thirds of the acreage were granted by Henry de Londres (Archbishop of Dublin from 1213 to 1228 when he died) to St. Thomas’s Abbey for the reception of guests and for the poor. The parish included 2 other parishes, Donacomper and Killadoon. Bothe of these had been granted to St. Wolfstans (St. Wolstans) in the Middle Ages, later the parish of Castledillon was added. (Archbishop de Londres was an Anglo-Norman clergyman, who was an influential figure in England at the time. He is mentioned in the text of the Magna Carta, which he helped negotiate. He was also a key figure in the building of Dublin Castle.)
The present church was consecrated on 11th September 1884, as Christchurch. The Rev. Charles Irvine Graham (1881-1811) was the rector at the time. This new church replaced an earlier church that had been built in 1812 at Lady Louisa Connolly’s request and consecrated on 15th October 1813 by Archbishop Trench. The site was gifted by Thomas Connolly complete with all adjacent buildings to the Church of Ireland.