St. Finian’s church dates from the fifteenth century, and in its present state since approximately 1775. At one time it incorporated the priest’s house. Thus, it is the oldest of the three churches making up the parish of Celbridge and Straffan with Newcastle-Lyons. It was once a parish church of the Royal Manor established by the Normans. (St. Finian*, after whom the church was named, dates from the sixth century having established a monastery at Clonard in County Meath and was also reputed to have established a monastery on Skellig Michael.)
(* He was also known as St. Fionán, the name associated with Skellig Michael).
Newcastle has 2 St. Finian’s churches, as the Roman Catholic church also bears his name!